Superfly

 

      This week there was a bonus movie to review that I had forgotten about. In case you were wondering, it was a Wednesday release.
     "Superfly" tells the story of a young drug dealer named Priest (Trevor Jackson), who wants one last "big sale" before he is out for good.
   The one good thing I can say about this movie, is it knows its style. In terms of set and costume design, it is probably one of the best of the year.
   The biggest mystery of this whole film, is the cinematography. Director X (director of "Superfly"), has experience with directing mostly music videos for the likes of Drake and Fifth Harmony. When it comes to this, it really made me question whether not he knew  what he was doing with the camera, like in vehicles. More often than not, the placement of the camera, actors were never in the same shot,  even during conversations. It made me angry watching these scenes.
   When the scenes were put together, they constantly made quick camera angle changes, also known as fast cuts. It was almost like watching a "Transformer" movie. It took me out of the action scenes, and scenes that were not, well action, which hurt it even more.
   Finally, the last thing to put the nail in the coffin, was the story itself. "Drug dealer wanting one last big heist before he runs off into the sun set". For those who do not know, that seems to be the plot line for every other movie that involves just a hint of crime. If I was honest, I would not have even had to watch it, to know what happened.
   I have not seen the original, so I have nothing to compare it to, but DAMN!
  GRADE: D


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfriended: Dark Web

Triple 9

Trailer of the week- Pet Sematary