Succession Episode 1


      When looking to expand my tv reviews, I have to be honest I struggled to pick what the right one would be. When I came across "Succession", it had all the right marks. This show was created by Jesse Armstrong, who's biggest credit previous to the show was screenwriter to the film "In the Loop".  This got Armstrong an oscar nomination for his work. What really drew me to this show was Adam McKay.  McKay directed one of my favorite films of all time, "The Big Short". It showed the corruption of the people that controlled the housing market. When a show about a power hungry family that lives the rich life, was too good to pass up.
      The story surrounds Logan Roy (Brian Cox) and his family. When the show picks up, Kendall (Jeremy Strong) is poised to to take over for his father. He is at the head of an acquisition of a company, that say just is not going well. Little do we know, Logan has plans of his own.
    The thing that I am most taken by, when it came to this show was the performances. I specifically would like to point out the ones from Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong. Through this episode you can really buy that Cox is a strong power hungry man that does not care if he runs through his son to keep his company. Strong is great as a son, who is strong and capable as a leader, but falls short because of his love for his father.
      Another positivity I had a bout this show, was that I thought it was shot very well. I think that it really captures and makes the story feel personal of this highly dysfunctional family. When the story went out to the streets of New York, they made it look so giant and sweeping. This is on point for a show like this.
      Having said all of this, family drama does stay interesting for a bit, but how long can you keep it going?
GRADE: B+ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfriended: Dark Web

Triple 9

Trailer of the week- Pet Sematary